10 weeks (Initially) Based at World renown London University. This is an exciting opportunity to become a Junior Technician. The role holder will provide technical support across all teaching activities within the Division and in particular will work closely with Technical Manager in supporting laboratory practical teaching during term time and research laboratory activities outside of term time
We are interested in hearing from Junior lab Technician's who have the following skills and abilities:
- Good technical laboratory skills relevant to the role; to include experience of working with spectrophotometers, pipettors, chemical solution preparation and biological techniques
- Ability to carry out accurate scientific calculations
- Ability to handle hazardous chemicals
- Ability to cope with the physical demands of the role e.g. moving equipment and supplies, manual handling tasks and a flexible approach to working, willing to work outside normal hours as required to meet the needs of the service delivery (time off in lieu to be given outside of term times).
- Experience in laboratory technical support work in a Higher Education or similar setting
- Competence in laboratory safety, preferably within the Higher Education sector
- Experience with Pharmaceutics laboratory techniques (solid/liquid dosage forms)
- Technical Professional Registration or willingness to work towards it
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaching Support
- Preparation for, setting up of, and cleaning up after, practical classes and other student-facing activities in the laboratories.
- Prepare equipment and materials such as solutions and biological samples for student practical classes, with accuracy and dependability.
- Monitor stocks of consumables and planning ahead to ensure equipment and chemicals are available for classes. Proactively resolve any supply problems referring more complex issues to the Laboratory Manager.
- Order items (consumables, chemicals etc.) using the online purchasing system, including collection and delivery of orders from the on-site Stores and troubleshooting lost or incorrectly delivered orders.
- Assist during the practical classes by providing teaching support to academic staff.
- Keep accurate administrative records appropriate to the grade such as inventories e.g. equipment, chemicals, stocks, maintenance/service records etc.
- Update protocols and technical support documents as required, making notes of all experimental laboratory work carried out.
- Work co-operatively with colleagues as a member of a team, under the supervision/line management of more senior technical staff to ensure provision is suitable for planned teaching.
- Engage directly with undergraduate and postgraduate students in support Due to time constraints and the number of applications we will only be able to respond personally to successful candidates. Hopefully you will be one of those. If not please do feel free to send your CV again for any other positions that are of interest.
Gray & Associates is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.