Personal Assistant to the Institute Director - £15.32ph plus hol pay – Central London
Immediate start for five weeks initially
We are currently recruiting for an experienced PA to join a leading UK University, to provide administrative support to the Institute Director. Prior experience in the HE sector is essential.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide secretarial, administrative and project management support to the Institute Director. This will include extensive diary management, arranging meetings and minute taking, logistical support with events, dealing with correspondence, responsibility for filing and other administrative support.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND OUTCOMES
- Provide dedicated administrative assistance to the Institute Director, specifically diary management and associated paperwork, travel arrangements and attending to visitors.
- Provide daily papers and itineraries etc. in advance of meetings.
- Proof-read correspondence, documents and journals as required.
- Co-ordinate and support financial activities such as processing orders, payments and expenses.
- Deal with a range of enquiries; open post/faxes/emails and deal with correspondence. Drafting replies or referring to others if required; screening phone calls, taking messages as appropriate.
- Provide assistance on specialist projects including carrying out internet searches and collating data for others such as co-ordinating feedback from surveys.
- Co-ordinate and negotiate with conflicting demands in order to fit in to the schedule of the Institute Director and designated staff.
- Assist members of the team with issues that are confidential and sensitive e.g. staff promotions and salary reviews.
- Provide support for research and teaching activities such as preparation of papers, research grants, producing PowerPoint presentations.
Meetings and Committee Servicing
- Collaborating closely with the Manager to ensure smooth, day-to-day running of the Institute, serving as the first point of contact for the visitors.
- Provide a first point of contact for staff, students, visitors and external agencies.
- Establish and maintain filing and office systems; reorganise and implement new systems as necessary.
- Maintain up to date handbook/guide of processes needed to effectively fulfil office duties.
- Check and maintain office resources such as stationery and equipment, ensuring adequate stocks and licensing up to date as applicable.
- Assist other members of the team as and when required (including student related administration e.g. admissions, courses and exams).
- Provide cover for colleagues during periods of absence, or assist with peaks in workload in other areas.
- Assist with personnel administration, including maintaining staff records and preparing contracts as required.
- Assist with the recruitment and selection of new staff, such as uploading job advertisements etc.
- Provide assistance on the induction of new staff, such as organising staff ID cards and demonstrating office processes
- Supervise temporary staff covering for colleagues or busy periods as required.
Events and Liaison
- Co-ordination of meetings, preparing meeting material and ensuring it's delivered on time
- Assist with the servicing of committees (including contacting attendees; booking rooms and refreshments; servicing meetings co-ordinating agenda, minute taking and all preparatory and post meeting administration).
- Co-ordinate and provide project and other information at meetings as required.
- Maintain committee documentation.
- Organise meetings on behalf of team such as booking tutorials and seminars etc.
- Assist with the organisation of events as required, including the booking of venues, catering, speakers, attendees and ensuring within agreed budgetary constraints.
- Organise high-level events (200+ guests), venue hire, invites, catering, entertainment, effective negotiating with suppliers.
- Assisting with organisation of the weekly Seminar events hosted by the Institute (i.e. inviting and liaising with potential speakers)
- Maintain databases for events such as invitation lists and expenditure.
- Assist with extensive travel management involving the arrangement of transport and accommodation for staff members.
- Computer literacy and familiarity with the Microsoft suite of software to intermediate level in Word, Excel, Email, Outlook, diary management software and the internet.
- Good interpersonal skills which enable the post holder to tactfully and assertively communicate with others, and to develop effective, professional working relationships.
- The ability to answer telephone enquiries and draft correspondence, minutes and summaries in a clear, concise and logical format, whilst maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proven consistent ability to meet tight individual and group deadlines and to manage one's own workload through effective prioritising, time management and organisational skills.
- A commitment to customer focus and the need to provide an efficient, professional and effective service to the many users and contacts both internally at all levels of the organisation and externally.
- The ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality when dealing with a variety of student and staff data.
- Ability to use Powerpoint to co-ordinate presentations on behalf of others.
- A high level of literacy (including experience of drafting minutes of meetings and correspondence).
- Ability to proof read correspondence on behalf of others, ensuring accuracy and a close attention to detail.
- Proven experience of providing effective PA support to a public figure in a complex organisation, including the effective management of a complicated diary.
- Experience of servicing and taking notes of meetings, and ability to transcribe notes accurately and clearly.
- Experience of processing invoices and expenses using online systems.
- Experience of organising committees and meetings.
- Experience of organising and managing events.
- Experience of working with limited supervision and taking responsibility for meeting service standards and agreeing targets and workloads.
- Experience of working within a HE or research environment.
Due to time constraints and the number of applications we will only be able to respond personally to successful candidates. Hopefully you will be one of those. If not please do feel free to send your CV again for any other positions that are of interest.
Gray & Associates is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.