Staffing Officer – £15.32ph plus Hol Pay – Hybrid role
Start 20th September 2021 for three months initially
* Two days on site in Central London, two days remote working *
We are recruiting for an experienced Staffing Officer to join one of London’s leading Universities to provide administrative support to Senior Management. If you have previous experience in a HR post within HE, we’d love to hear from you!
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Advice on Policies Procedures
- Provide advice to line managers and staff on HR policies and procedures this includes knowledge and awareness of the various terms of employment and associated policies, to disseminate and explain this information where and when appropriate
- To ensure line managers are informed and comply when probationary documents and appraisals are due and ensure timely completion of these to Central HR.
- Monitor contract end dates and probationary completion dates.
- Working with Operations Manager, draft and issue letters of notice to staff on fixed term contracts.
- Co-ordinate the arrangement of schemes for Visiting Professors, Honorary Fellows and Affiliate Academics.
- Liaise with the Organisational Development HR team and departmental staff regarding departmental and individual training needs.
- Develop and maintain relevant records and contact details for staff members and those on the schemes for Visiting Professors, Honorary Fellows and Affiliate Academics.
- To contribute to the maintenance of departmental HR web pages, liaising with departmental staff at all levels to ensure pages are up to date and of a high quality.
- Support visitors with access, IT and library needs by registering them on the Service System.
- Assist staff members with annual leave queries.
- Work with members of staff on issues that are confidential and sensitive.
Recruitment and Selection
- Lead in the preparation and publication of internal and external advertisements, job descriptions and person specifications as well as PhD opportunity advertising.
- Supporting and advising recruiting managers on the process of creating a job description and adverts.
- Managing the end to end recruitment and on-boarding process, advising on appropriate timelines, answering queries from candidates and recruiting managers
- Use the HR system to post advertisements and update applicants’ statuses as appropriate.
- Coordinate job applications, drawing up schedules for interviews and sending out invitations to shortlisted candidates.
- Confirming starting salaries and referring non-standard queries to the HR Advisory Services team.
- Undertake pre-employment (Right to work in the UK) checks and process and confirm Right to Work documentation.
- Inputting and updating appropriate systems, ensuring successful candidate’s details are passed to HR Services so that contracts can be set up salary payments can be made.
- Plan and assist with the induction of staff and visitors in the department. Liaise with line managers to ensure they arrange the necessary meetings and inductions for a new staff member’s first day.
- Use HR systems to submit Honorary/Visitor Contract Applications.
- To process one-off duty payments for permanent and non-permanent staff and external personnel via the SiP system.
- Populate and maintain a complex department HR database.
- Ensure that leaver’s forms are completed by departing staff members.
Certificates of Sponsorship
- Provide guidance and advice around the requirements for work related visas.
- Drafting of Certificate of Sponsorship applications.
- Submit Honorary appointments for Tier 5 visitors.
- Maintain Tier 5 records locally.
- Oversee Tier 4 arrangements ensuring that hours worked are in compliance with legislation.
- Overall responsibility in calculating and making casual payments where necessary as well as answering payroll queries.
- Ensure payments are made in a timely manner.
- Request and process payments monthly to ensure payments are processed and submitted by HR deadlines.
- Working with the Departmental Safety Officer to ensure new starters/staff have appropriate equipment and furniture to carry out their roles. Arranging for new, replacements and repairs as required.
- Working with the Department IT to ensure that staff have appropriate workstation allocation.
- Experience of providing excellent customer service including problem resolution.
- Experience of working as part of a team, with the ability to be supportive of other team members.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to liaise effectively with a range of people both internally and externally.
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills including the ability to build successful relationships and collaborate and contributing towards maintaining a positive work environment.
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills with ability to effectively to plan, prioritise own workload to meet deadlines.
- Excellent IT skills and a proven competency in the use of Microsoft Office, databases and web-based applications.
- Ability to work independently, proactively and as part of a team, with a flexible approach to changing priorities.
- Self-starting with demonstrated use of initiative and able to produce high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience of working as a Human Resources Administrator.
- Knowledge of the HR duties listed above.
- Prior experience of working within the HE sector.
Due to time constraints and the number of applications we will only be able to respond personally to successful candidates. Hopefully you will be one of those. If not please do feel free to send your CV again for any other positions that are of interest.
Gray & Associates is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.