Student Engagement Advisor – £18.93ph plus Hol Pay – Remote working
Start ASAP to the end of July 2021 initially
We are recruiting for an experienced Student Engagement Advisor to join one of London’s leading Universities. If you have previous experience gained within a Higher Education institute in a student engagement post, we’d love to hear from you!
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Student Engagement Adviser will support the department’s taught students learning experience, with a focus on wellbeing and student engagement, and will use coaching techniques to provide support to these students.
Their job will be to get to know the students within Mechanical Engineering, and be a key point of contact for them, working alongside academics and other professional services staff.
The Student Engagement Adviser will foster an interface between the Mechanical Engineering and central professional services, connecting students to relevant services and the wealth of opportunities available to them.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To be a key point of contact for taught students in the department.
- To provide a timely response to queries and/or signpost to departmental, faculty and central resources as appropriate.
- To work proactively to help students access opportunities outside the taught curriculum.
- To reach out to students before arrival and soon after arrival (to cover expectations of the University and the department/s, aspirations for the future, any specific support needs).
- To stay in contact with students of concern on a regular basis, checking on their academic progress, supporting them to settle into life at the University and encouraging engagement with University opportunities and services.
- To support and advise new students through key lifecycle processes.
- To support the extenuating circumstances process as required, and provide support and advice to students.
- To be a named point of contact for staff within the department/s for central student support services.
- To work with colleagues in the department/s to assist with adjustment requirements for students.
- To contribute to the organisation and running of student induction.
- To work with the events team to foster students’ sense of belonging by organising events and activities for students and staff in their area.
- If required, to co-ordinate the personal tutoring system in conjunction with the departmental tutor/s for their department/s, supporting tutors to use the relevant software.
- To deal with wellbeing concerns referred by the department’s Personal Tutors and liaise with the relevant central support services.
- To be a member of the departmental and faculty student support teams and to collaborate with other similar roles through a community of practice.
- To be adaptable to the requirements of the department/s and responsive to changing needs and priorities.
- Other relevant duties as required.
- To ensure effective communication with Line Manager and Faculty/Departmental Manager regarding work in progress, implementation of developments and emerging trends or issues.
- Experience of working in a customer facing role, in a Higher Educational setting.
- Experience of high quality service delivery.
- Experience of dealing with and supporting individuals’ complex needs.
- Experience of putting in place approaches to ensure personalised support to customers.
- Interest in students’ success and commitment to supporting this.
- Proven ability of working in a team successfully.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, equality of opportunity and to dealing with diversity sensitively and fairly.
- Able to work with tact and confidentiality when dealing with sensitive/confidential issues.
- A willingness to attend training courses and self-teach any required skills for the post.
- Able to switch easily between tasks for different groups and stakeholders.
- Proven ability to provide an individualised service to customers.
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to unexpected demands or changing circumstances.
Due to time constraints and the number of applications we will only be able to respond personally to successful candidates. Hopefully you will be one of those. If not please do feel free to send your CV again for any other positions that are of interest.
Gray & Associates is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.