Training and Enquiries Support Librarian.
This library specialists in Pharmaceutical sciences with the collection numbering approximately 50,000 volumes (books and journals) and offering members access to a wide range of databases, electronic journals and ebooks. The library itself contains a suite of computers and provides a laptop lending service to students and staff. Library staff provide a range of services including loans, enquiry services, interlibrary loans and document supply, mediated literature searching, information skills training as well as RFID self-service.
Main purpose of the job
The Training and Enquiries Support Librarian is part of a customer-facing team working on-site at the Library. The post holder will lead the delivery and development of a comprehensive, embedded programme of information skills training, to facilitate the use of teaching and research resources, in person and online. They are responsible for promoting and facilitating the use of a range of biomedical library resources and managing specialist enquiries.
The post holder is a senior member of this small team and will support the day-to-day running of library activities.
- Design and deliver lectures, workshops and tailored content, both in-person and online, as part of a programme of inductions and information literacy skills teaching set across all years of the MPharm and postgraduate degree catalogue
- Facilitate a programme of drop-in skills workshops and 1-2-1 appointment services
- Contribute to Library Services’s centralised skills workshop programme and the Doctoral Skills Research Development programme
- Assist with literature searching and systematic reviews for teaching and research purposes
- Build and maintain relationships with School academic and professional services staff to identify opportunities to enhance the Library’s teaching and research support offer
- Proactively use technologies to develop innovative teaching materials and approaches for maximum student engagement and attainment
- Use statistics, data and feedback to continually improve resources, services and personal professional practice
- Participate in a rota to staff the Library Help Point, providing a comprehensive customer service including dealing with membership enquiries, actions to support the loan service and handling payments for fines and fees
- Handle enquiries about the libraries’ services, and taking the lead on more complex enquiries around the use of resources
- Support circulation processes, including assisting with self-service machines, processing items and re-shelving materials
- Assist with IT enquiries and use of facilities in the libraries, referring more complex enquiries to colleagues or ISD
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- A recognised graduate or postgraduate qualification in Librarianship or Information Studies
- Up to date knowledge and significant experience working in a health or medical library
- Experience of designing, planning and delivering information skills training
- Experience of conducting literature searches
- Experience of handling library enquiries, both face-to-face and electronically
- Experience of using and providing training in personal reference management software, especially EndNote and Mendeley
- Knowledge of critical appraisal models and methods, including experience of facilitating critical appraisal skills training
Gray & Associates is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity